Wednesday, December 1, 2010

THREE IS MORE THEN ENOUGH / Kansas Farm Life / Mid West Simple Living

THREE IS MORE THEN ENOUGH.  Our goat Ginger had her kids the other day.  It was when Brian went to milk when he heard the sound of the babies crying.  Ginger had three kids again this time.  I went up to clean them off and see what they were.  Two males and one doe.  That night we thought all were nursing and doing fine.  The next day I went to check on them in the afternoon.  One kid looked nearly dead.  He was still and lying stretched out while the others were warm and sleeping.  I picked up this little one, so mad at myself for not checking earlier. Took him to the house and I forced him to drink the colostrum I had taken from his mother.  He didn’t try to suck, only was freezing cold and limp.  Eva and Isabelle held him near the fire place and kept trying to get some colostrum down his throat.  Miracles still happen! AT 2:30AM I heard him crying and I gave him more milk. 

004

The next morning he was up on his feet, and Naomi held him the rest of the day until we had to put him in the barn.  

photo2

Adelaide is here today and Prince Nibbles is now everyone's favorite baby.  Prince Nibbles will be Adelaide’s 4-H project for next years fair.

1 comment:

  1. Oh such cute baby goats! I would love to have one to milk, but don't have the time right now. Fortunately I have a good friend who DOES have adorable goats that she milks & we trade goats milk for goats milk soap! Love your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comment below. We love hearing from you.