Thursday, August 13, 2009

HELLO FRIENDS

Where do I begin. It has been a very busy summer so far. As with most of you, gardening is very important. Brian planted a large garden down by the creek. 100ft rows of heirloom seed. Green beans 8 rows, sweet corn 4 rows, winter squash, onions, tomatoes, watermelon & cantaloupe and more. My sister helped me pick and freeze the beans and now it is tomato time.





Brian built me raised beds for my greens close to the house. I love it. My herbs are doing well up here too.





Hay season came in late June & even into July this year. We usually have over 1000 bales, but we are getting only around 600 bales due to the rain and the equipment break downs didn't help either. Now it looks like we will have another late cutting which will help get us through the winter as we have increased are cow herd.





Our two new cows both had male calves, and we still have 2 other cows June & May due this Sept. After these new calves come we'll have double the milk. HELP! I'll make cheese, yogurt, ice cream, butter, & more cheese. Everyone needs to drink more milk. PLEASE! I'll make more soap, THAT'S WHAT I'LL DO!






Brian cam in one morning, I laughed so hard, to tell me his episode with a feisty little hen. This hen had just hatched 5 chicks and, unknown to Brian, She had that afternoon settled in with her chicks in the milking barn. When Brian entered the milk parlor this little hen attacked him. She jumped up and grabbed onto his pants and didn't let go. He put his totes down and knocked her off his pants. She pumped at him again & again. He kicked her over the fence and she still came back. He grabbed his whip and whipped at her she finally gathered up her chicks and left. Brian left the barn to go get the cows as they hadn't come in yet and the little hen chased him down the cow lane and continued to jump at him. If only I had this on camera. It would have been popular on YouTube.

Life on the farm is not always hard work but hard work with much joy.


I found something I think most young mother with children will enjoy. It's called "Wild Food or Eat Free" It teaches adults & children how to identify plants in the wild that are real food. I'm certainly excited to get the information as times are looking poorly for the dollar and we'll all need alternative options. You can get more info at: www.ofthefield.com


Carolyn





P.S.


If you need soap let me know. My newest soap is Adelaide Flower Garden. The essential oil combination is one that kills germs and helps fight bacteria and promotes healing. We use it for insect bites & poison Ivy. Oh ya, I've also found a combination of essential oils that actually kills poison Ivy before your eyes if you spray it on soon or at least by a day or two.

1 comment:

  1. Hey carolyn:
    I have a terrible rash type thing right in my face, it is because my doc says I have rosacea and so he gave me some perscription stuff to put on it and I am having a bad reaction to it. Do you have a soap that can help calm it down? It is ugly itchy and red and is like a raised legion right on my face...Help????

    Shanna M Moeller

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comment below. We love hearing from you.